Saturday, November 14, 2009

UPDATED!! giving blood has it's dangers...

***********************
This is an update as to why giving blood was such a painful ordeal in my life. So, five, yes, five days after I gave blood, my arm was killing me. I mean, I couldn't grip things, I couldn't go for a run because the bouncing hurt my arm, I would wake up at night in pain, etc. So I called that blood bank, yes I did! I called them and I told them what bad shape my arm was in.

"Oh my gawd!" -The nurse said, "You should have called me earlier, hmmm, do you feel numbness and tingling?"

"YES!"

"Is it hard to grip objects?"

"YESS!!! (Hello, lady, I just told you that)"

"Yep, it sounds like they hit a nerve"

Hit a nerve? Are you kidding. All all things to hit with a sharp object in my arm, least of all I would want my nerve. I just want to let you all know, that even though it's embarrassing, when I hung up with her, I started crying just thinking about that incident, and now I know why! Cause hitting a nerve really hurts--so it makes me feel emotional. Now I don't feel so silly for loosing it in that blood bus infront of a slew of strangers.

And...they said if I need to go to the doctor, they will pay for it, but I think I'll wait it out a few more days. Goodness gracious, I just don't know if I will EVER be giving blood again in my near future.

So, here is the original story;



So I thought it would be a great idea to give blood last week; good cause, relatively easy, all in all a great way to spend a half hour...right?


I am going to jump to the end of my experience and tell you that giving blood was not fun, nor did it help anyone and left crying. Why? Well, first off, she jabbed that needle in, missed the vein and sent this electric shock of a pain up and down my forearm( remember this part...) She waved off my feeble attempts to complain about the pain as well as my sudden decent into wooziness, that is until a minute later--when to her alarm she notice I wasn't giving off any blood. "OH NO! OH NO!" she uttered as she began to wiggle the needle into my arm, causing my body to become on fire, and a rogue tear to escape my eye... "Oh No!" she repeated, "I'm going to have to take this out and repoke you!" Which she did before I could soundly protest.( I was feeling woozy or I would have been screaming) Upon entry the second time, my eyes were waterfalls and I almost passed out because when she missed the vein, she hit other objects. She decided to take it out, kept apologizing for doing a bad job and got me a cold press for my burning, colorless skin. I left crying and 3 days later, I still have an electric shock pain in my forearm! That night I couldn't stretch or bend my arm, and Andrew has to help me put on my pajamas...

Silly flobotomist!

No comments: